Myrtle poised for title run
The road to Jackson will once again pass through Myrtle after the Hawks took care of business against Drew Tuesday night.
Myrtle built an early 12-0 lead off of seven points from David Wilson. The Hawks would end the half ahead 21-6 and seemingly in control of the game.
The Eagles started the second on an 8-2 run, but foul trouble for Drew helped Myrtle contain a comfortable lead as Wilson and Heriah Dodson each had three-point opportunities in the frame.
Drew’s offense came alive, scoring 29 points in the third quarter, as the Eagles scored three triples, including one at the buzzard by Terrance Graham, cutting Myrtle’s lead to single digits.
The Hawks opened the final quarter with four turnovers while Drew made it an eight point game after a basket by Jeremiah Lewellyn. Wilson and Russ Yates kept the Hawks composed, making it a double digit lead again, and the Hawks closed out the game on the free throw line, going 18-for-21 in the fourth quarter.
Wilson led Myrtle with 28 points, while Yates added 18 and Robert Montgomery 13 points.
Lewellyn led the Eagles with 17, while Graham added 15.
The girls also advanced in north half action after defeating the Lady Eagles 60-42. Drew held close in the first quarter, as Brittney Pointer and Typruza Hardy combined for 15 of the Lady Eagles’ 17 first quarter points, as they held the 17-16 lead.
Outscored 33-9 over the next two quarters, Aspriona Gilbert’s 31 points helped Myrtle secure a spot in this weekend’s north half tournament, as the Lady Hawks are looking to make their second straight visit to Jackson, where they made it to state semifinals in 2009.
Kianna Cox made a return for Myrtle, scoring 10 points. For Drew, Hardy finished with 13 and Pointer added 10 points in the loss.
Myrtle will travel to Wheeler for their north half tournament, where they will face Biggersville at 4:00 p.m.. Houlka, Coldwater, H.W. Byers, Wheeler, Shaw and the West Oktibbeha/Pine Grove winner will all be in quarterfinal action.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...