Fourteen horses trapped, killed in Sunday night fire
Authorities ruled Monday afternoon that a fire that destroyed the former Union County sale barn, as well as Adderholt’s Stockyard Café and also killed 14 horses, was set accidentally.
“We came to the conclusion yesterday that it was an accidental fire,” New Albany Fire Chief Jeff Hale said Tuesday. “We believe it was caused by bad wiring.”
Hale said that he and a deputy state fire marshall believed the fire’s point of origin was in the cafe’s kitchen.
Hale said that the New Albany fire department responded to the fire call at 8:30 p.m. Sunday night.
“We arrived and it was fully involved at that time,” Hale said. “We finally got it under control at around 11:30 p.m. and finally had it extinguished at around 1 a.m.”
The horses, which belonged to horse trader Blake Thompson, were trapped inside the building, Hale said.
“We had to get a backhoe to come in and remove part of the tin roof,” Hale said. “We also had to be careful with the steel I-beams. Because of the heat, they could have shifted and come down at any time.”
Besides the 14 horses that died, several others suffered burns and smoke inhalation, Hale said.
Thompson had leased the building from its current owner, J.D. Moreland, to store his horses until he could finish a facility in Ingomar.
Steve Adderholt, owner of the cafe, said that he would meet with employees and other advisors to discuss options for relocating the restaurant. It had been open at that location seven days a week for several years.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...