Union Co. Sweep
Area cross country teams gathered at the New Albany Sportsplex last Saturday for districts 1-1A, 2-1A and 1-2A championships. Based on the results of this meet, teams will qualify for the state championships next month. Myrtle girls and West Union boys entered as favorites, and each took their respective divisions, along with Myrtle’s boys, West Union’s girls and both East Union squads.
On the girls side, five of the top six in 2-1A were from Myrtle, as Halle Knowles and Aimee Walker finished one and two. Samantha Shettles followed at third, while Rachel Peeler and Rhagan Hopper were fifth and sixth respectively. Marly Hall rounded out the top 10 for the Lady Hawks, finishing ninth and giving Myrtle 17 total points. Potts Camp placed second with 56.
In 2-1A boys, Myrtle took the three point victory over the Cardinals, as Bryan Cook and Justin Pickins were the top finishers. Potts Camp had the next two finishers followed by Will Gregory in fifth. Kevin Taylor and Taylor Hogue also placed in the top 10 for the Hawks.
West Union took both sides in 1-1A, as the boys had a comanding advantage over Ingomar. The top eight runners were from West Union, with Devin Brock finishing in first. He was followed by Reid Williams, Matthew Gordon, Tim Stevens, Wesley Atkinson, Joseph Miller, Zack Brock and Austin Harrington. Ingomar’s Justin Armstrong finished ninth and Luke Swain rounded out the top 10.
Amber Maxey, Lizzi Higgins and Ally Newby were top five finishers for the girls, with Kyler Bates and Jodie McMillen finishing in the top 10.
The Urchins and Lady Urchins each took their division, as Katie Rowan, Abby Epting and Heather Dillard were the top three finishers on the girls side. Gabi Kiddy and Hannah Courtney finished fifth and sixth followed by Niki Vick of Hickory Flat. Sunnie Knighton, Emily Bullock and Amy McCullough were top 10 finishers in the race for the Lady Urchins.
For the boys, Jose Valle finished first for the Urchins, while Drew Bruce came in third. Brett Rakestraw, Cody Poe and Dontrell Lattimore were in the top seven, while Jonathan Valle and Kyle Hampton finished top 10.
The top seven finishers for each school now qualify to run in the state championships, which will be held on November 7.
For complete results, see www.mstrackxc.com
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...