Robbins makes three in mayoral race
When the May 5 party primary elections roll around, citizens of New Albany will now have the choice of three candidates for New Albany Mayor.
Joey Robbins qualified with the New Albany Circuit Clerk on Monday to run for the office.
Robbins will face incumbent Tim Kent as well as Betsey Hamilton in the primary elections.
As of press time, in the other city races, Alderman-at-Large Dan Skinner will face Daniel Frain, Ward One Alderman is running unopposed, Ward Two Alderman Larry Sanford will face Keith Ball and Johnny Anderson, Ward Three Alderman Tommie Beasley will face Chris Buford and Larry Dykes and Ward Four Alderman will face J. Pullman.
Besides Olson, New Albany Police Chief David Grisham is the only other incumbent to remain unopposed in the upcoming race.
According to Municipal Election information released by the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office, in order for a person to be a candidate for his/her party’s nomination in a municipal election he/she must:
1) Pay a filing fee of $10 to the Municipal Clerk by 5 p.m. on March 6, 2009.
2) Submit the the Municipal Clerk a written Statement of Intent containing the name and address of the candidate, the name of the party with which the candidate is affiliated and the office the candidate is seeking.
In order for a person to be an independent candidate in a municipal general election, he/she must file a petition with the Municipal Clerk by 5 p.m. on March 6, 2009. The petition must be signed by at least 50 qualified voters of a municipality or ward, if the municipality or ward has a population of 1,000 residents or more. The petition must be signed by at least 15 qualified voters if the municipality or ward has a population of less than 1,000 residents.
Jan. 2 – Qualifying starts
March 6 – Qualifying deadline
May 2 – voter registration or update deadline for general election
May 5 – party primary elections
May 19 – party run-offs, if needed
June 2 – general election
July 6 – new municipal terms of office begin.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...