NAHS soccer works with champion athletes
New Albany’s boys soccer team had a unique experience last Thursday, as members of Bethel College’s soccer teams visited and worked with the team during their practice.
Felix Obillio, Joseph Omondi, Ugochi Opara and Malang Jarju showed up to the Bulldogs’ practice and worked with the team on fundamentals. With their combined experience, their help was greatly appreciated by the team.
Opara, a member of the Nigerian Women’s National Team, competed in the 2000 Olympics in Australia, as well as the 2003 World Cup. Obillio is an All-American mid-fielder hailing from Kenya, along with Omondi, and Jarju is currently the graduate assistant coach for both the Wildcat and Lady Wildcat teams.
These athletes have put Bethel on the map as one of the premier NAIA teams, as Opara and the Lady Wildcats won the TranSouth Athletic Conference Tournament, while the Wildcats won the national championship this season.
The group is currently in New Albany for the Christmas holiday, and took the opportunity to share their passion and talent with the students at NAHS.
“We’re having fun and it’s good to share what we know with this group of kids,” Jarju said. “They’re looking good, and we’re just showing them basics, like passing and moving.”
Thinking from a coaching perspective, Jarju is also looking at the future of Bethel’s program while working with the Bulldogs.
“This is great for me because this is a good recruiting opportunity,” Jarju explained.
With one of their biggest games of the season on tap versus the Pontotoc Warriors, the exhibition and lesson from the students at Bethel was a great way to relax and prepare for their divisional showdown.
NAHS will take on the Warriors Monday night in their final game before the holidays. They will be back in action on January 5 in a make-up game with Saltillo in New Albany.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...