New Albany School District begins construction projects at three sites
Construction at New Albany Schools can be seen by students daily as they walk to class throughout the week. Projects are being completed at the elementary school, middle school and high school.
At New Albany Elementary School (NAES), a 10,500 square foot physical education building is being built at the cost of approximately $850,000, according to New Albany School Superintendent Charles Garrett.
“We want to get as much up-to-date equipment that will allow the kids to get enough exercise as possible,” Garrett said.
Garrett said the building is currently being used and everything is complete except the tile. The tile will be laid down over the Thanksgiving holiday and the building should be fully operational by December 1, 2008.
The cost of the NAES project is being paid for by a tax settlement received by ENRON to the New Albany Public School Board.
According to Garrett, “We had an ENRON plant here and it closed down and we got a tax settlement from them a year ago of half a million dollars, so we put that money into that project.”
At New Albany Middle School, 2,200 square feet is being added to the band physical education athletic area. The athletes and students involved in physical education are lifting weights and working out in the same area where they dress. The added square footage will be used between the band and physical education students so they can use the space better, Garrett said.
The cost of this project is $800,000. $400,000 comes from Qualified Zone Academy Bonds (QZAB), which is federal money from the government that is interest-free and the other $400,000 comes from New Albany Public School Board District’s savings and building fund.
At New Albany High School, the School of Career and Technical Education is getting their roof replaced at the cost of $300,000. The project is expected to be completed by the end of November.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...