Local softball team prepares for World Series
The pleasures of summer ball are paying off for one local softball team. The Mississippi Girls, a 16 and under softball team based out of Pontotoc have reached the World Series state championships after winning the north half championship last weekend in Hernando.
Mississippi Girls consists of 10 girls from three counties, Lee, Pontotoc and Union. Boasting seven girls from Union County, two from Pontotoc and one from Saltillo, all of the girls share the same passion, winning and having fun.
“It’s good fun,” said Brooke Sides of New Albany. “We didn’t know each other when the team formed, so we’ve gotten to know one another and it’s been fun.”
The girls have formed a great bond both on and off the field, as they won 13 games in the past week to make it to the state tournament. In Hernando last weekend, they defeated Marshal County, Senatobia and Hernando to capture the north half championship.
For most of the girls, this is their first trip to the world series, but some also have experience there as well.
“I’ve been in 2004 and 2006,” said Brooke Denton of Pontotoc. “We (Pontotoc Diamond Girls) won the championship in 2006.”
Experienced or not, the team will take part in one more tournament this weekend in New Albany. After that, they will take their talent to Southaven July 24-27. The festivities will start with opening ceremonies Thursday night, then the coaches will draw for times and opponents. With the school year close to starting, these girls would like nothing more than to end their summer with a championship.
“It’s fun to play ball and not have the worries and pressures of school,” Denton laughed.
“This has been a great experience,” added New Albany’s Kelsey Hodges. “It’s a great chance to meet new people while playing and we love it.”
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...