Make Sharing at Christmas a part of your seasonal plans
For each of the past 32 consecutive years, the people of Union County have demonstrated their compassion for their less fortunate neighbors. They have done so in many wonderful ways, through their churches and organizations, but more as a cohesive group through the “Sharing at Christmas” program. The program started in 1974 and since then The New Albany Gazette and the newspaper’s employees have been blessed to have a part in providing assistance to those in need in our count during the holidays.
As the application process for those in need begins and the organization of volunteers who will make the program happen for the 33rd consecutive year gets underway, a quick look back at 2006 and the 240-plus families assisted from the $20,000 raised, reminds us that we have neighbors who care about others in our county.
The ‘Sharing at Christmas” goal for 2007 is $25,000, with hopes to assist even more families and to offset some of the increases in food costs in the world we live in today. To reach the goal and to help as many families as possible, the “Sharing at Christmas” program will need all of the volunteer assistance available, as well as generous donations of money from individuals, churches, businesses and industries.
Resident families of Union County in need of assistance will be able to apply on Saturday, November 10, 2007 at the New Albany Gazette offices, 713 Carter, New Albany, during the hours from 8:00 a.m. to noon. Selection is based on need through a careful screening process. Applicants will be asked to provide information about how many residents are in their home, income, benefits received and any special need. Each selected family will receive a large box of food and families with children will also receive toys based on gender and age. “Sharing at Christmas” has no administrative costs and all contributions go totally to the assistance of selected needy families in Union County.
As the holidays near, please consider making “Sharing at Christmas” a part of your plans for the season.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...