Make Sharing at Christmas a part of your seasonal plans
For each of the past 32 consecutive years, the people of Union County have demonstrated their compassion for their less fortunate neighbors. They have done so in many wonderful ways, through their churches and organizations, but more as a cohesive group through the “Sharing at Christmas” program. The program started in 1974 and since then The New Albany Gazette and the newspaper’s employees have been blessed to have a part in providing assistance to those in need in our count during the holidays.
As the application process for those in need begins and the organization of volunteers who will make the program happen for the 33rd consecutive year gets underway, a quick look back at 2006 and the 240-plus families assisted from the $20,000 raised, reminds us that we have neighbors who care about others in our county.
The ‘Sharing at Christmas” goal for 2007 is $25,000, with hopes to assist even more families and to offset some of the increases in food costs in the world we live in today. To reach the goal and to help as many families as possible, the “Sharing at Christmas” program will need all of the volunteer assistance available, as well as generous donations of money from individuals, churches, businesses and industries.
Resident families of Union County in need of assistance will be able to apply on Saturday, November 10, 2007 at the New Albany Gazette offices, 713 Carter, New Albany, during the hours from 8:00 a.m. to noon. Selection is based on need through a careful screening process. Applicants will be asked to provide information about how many residents are in their home, income, benefits received and any special need. Each selected family will receive a large box of food and families with children will also receive toys based on gender and age. “Sharing at Christmas” has no administrative costs and all contributions go totally to the assistance of selected needy families in Union County.
As the holidays near, please consider making “Sharing at Christmas” a part of your plans for the season.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...